Saturday, September 1, 2012

Stepping off the Edge

Aaah, the things we unearth digging down through the middens we have developed over our many years of accumulation.

Here I am at age one "stepping off" or at least seriously envisioning my mobility.  I like this one best out of many; I was not posing by the roses in front of the house, or next to my teacher, or in fourth grade with a prominent and permanent cowlick in my  hair.

No, here I am -- determined, if a bit worried, blessed with curiosity and a willingness to seek and discover.  Like the FOOL card in the Tarot deck -- I remain a willing risk taker.  I no doubt took a major tumble shortly thereafter -- it seems that falling down (which is not remotely close to "sin") is the way we learn the best.  How ever are we to know what is past the edge.  Then, I was reminded of a quote I wrote just after Winter Solstice 2011 in our Hawaii journal "Papamanawa" --


"You will never discover new
continents without losing sight
of the coast."   Andre Gide

No comments:

Post a Comment