Monday, October 7, 2013

"Down Time"

Well, OK, I am addressing the fact that my right knee is not getting better by seeing the local doctor who is outlining the "next steps" like xray, PT, MRI and, reluctantly an orthopedist for possible surgery.

In the meantime the question is what to DO since I now faced with some "down time."  Well, first thing is to call in friends -- especially those faced with a similar situation.  And, the first person that instantly comes to mind is my friend Jerebob from Humboldt County.  Together we have formed the NIDINI Support Group, with offices in Ferndale (where he lives) and Pahoa -- where we live.  "Nidini" is a adopted Hawaiian spelling of Needy Knee, and is correctly pronounced Nee-Dee-Nee!

Anyway, my latest pastime is reading about Polynesian navigation about which much research has been done.  I am currently reading: Hawaiki Rising, by Sam Low.  It is the story of the Hokulea, a replica of an ancient Hawiian canoe which sails using ancient star paths.  We had the privilege of recently hearing Sam talk at Imiloa Astronomy Center here in Hilo.  The topic covers a wide range of interests including astronomy, navigation, cultural significance.  Maybe I can write up something to entice you as I learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment