Thursday, June 15, 2017

Puppies in my Tummy!

"I'I Lani" ( ee-ee lani) - with very full belly

Today we made the important trek into Hilo for an x-ray of I'I Lani's belly to hopefully confirm how many puppies she will whelp in just a couple weeks. Sometimes the mom's bones partially hide the tiny skeletons of the puppies inside, but it looks like there are four. That's a perfect number for such a little girl. Her Hawaiian name, I'I Lani, means midget from heaven -- and she is!!

Delivery of puppies (whelping) should take place on June 30 (give or take a day or two). We are "keeping it all in the family" so to speak -- here's a photo of Lani with her mom, Reba (in back) who has some real experience to be a "mid-wife" and "tutu" for the new batch. Lani was from Reba's very last batch of pups.

Today we set up her nursery area so she can begin to feel emotionally comfortable there. Until then, there's not much to do -- and even after the pups are born, she will take care of them for the first four weeks when they really begin to start waddling around. Of course we will include a few pictures when that all happens. (FYI: All puppies are already spoken for, in case you were wondering.)





No comments:

Post a Comment