Thursday, July 27, 2017

New Garden Art -- Mo'o

View is when you first come in the gate to our property.
"Stanley" has been protected with sprayed layers of FlexSeal
In mid June I posted the story about my wanting to create a Mo'o -- a lizard-dragon like the beings recorded in Hawaiian mythology. I included photos of the beginning process of making a mo'o sculpture.  Mo'o June Entry

CLICK  PHOtO to read about  "da silly slippa's"
Although I've never done this kind of thing before, I figured the best way to learn is to just do it!

"Stanley" (yes, he told me that was his name) now stands watch, perched high on an outcropping of lava -- visible just as you drive in the gate. This is an beautiful feature of lava that flowed (years ago) directly across what is now our driveway.

One of the issues that came up near the end of the construction was that his toes were a little vulnerable on such a rough surface. My friend in Honaunau suggested, giggling, that maybe he just needed some authentic Hawaiian "slippa's" -- so that part of the story is also included -- for giggles.






.

No comments:

Post a Comment