Wednesday, April 15, 2015

"Cloudy With a Chance of Pastels"

A couple evenings ago my friend, Lucina, and I headed off to Ahalanui Warm Ponds down on the Red Road, just north of Pohoiki, all well-loved Puna places on the Big Island.  The sun was going down as we left, and the clouds were moving in with a promise of rain.


After a good time of vigorous swimming, we both became entranced with the light show we were observing -- lots of greys, lots of lavender, pinks and peach.

As we kept discovering new colors and cloud shapes, I commented about the colors.

 "These are all pastel colors, and greys I rarely used in my art palette."   I drove home with my eyes closed (not really) but concentrating on the colors I had seen, determined to create something that would graphically illustrate their beauty.


Laying out the colors, I came across barely-used colored pencils with names like "Rosy Beige," "Clay Rose," and "Peche Deco."  Then came the challenge of drawing the scene with my own vocabulary of shapes, and, I'm really pleased with the end result as I think this sketch can translate into "something more."


No comments:

Post a Comment