Tuesday, April 19, 2016

No'eau -- Life as Art

"People’s lives can continue to unfold after they die; you just have to pay attention." 
 (From the movie “Me and Earl and the Dying Girl” – highly recommended)

For over a month now I have been wondering how to tell the story about my friend Nan who died on March 12th this year, but having just watched the above movie yesterday, it became clear that I just had to sit down and do it.  Meeting Nan No’eau Penner in the mountains of southern Humboldt County around 15 years ago was like meeting a long lost sister; we both felt a kinship as women and as artists.  We met after I had passed through a long dark tunnel and was coming out having discovered the healing power of art.

For many years Nan was supportive of my experimental, intuitive approach to art – particularly when it appeared to move in a darker and somewhat curious direction – as my “Strange Angels” began to channel through my art in an unexpected way.  She encouraged me to “invite them in” – that they would be wise teachers, and so they were.  Nan was a quiet supportive mentor and witness to my own development as an artist, and she was happy for us when we chose to make our home on the Big Island of Hawaii where she and her husband had lived many years ago. Although separated by miles, the connection remained important to me.

Last month, on March 12th my husband, Phil, and I made a visit up to Kilauea that included a visit to Pele’s home and the always stirring view of Halema’uma’u – the inner lava crater.  We had dinner reservations and while spending time at the gallery, I found a book of collected proverbs and poetical sayings entitled, “ ‘Olelo No’eau” that Phil bought as a late Valentines gift for me.  Of course I immediately recognized the name, No’eau – and as I stood there with the book in my hand, I got “chicken skin” all over my body thinking about Nan and her friendship over the years.  I remarked to Phil that I needed to contact her right away, but couldn’t explain the sense of urgency I felt about it.

The next morning I emailed two friends in Humboldt to see if they had current contact for Nan received the following email back a few days later.  “I am sorry to let you know that Nan passed away last sat on 12th of March. As I sat there reading those words through tears in my eyes it was clear to me that despite the miles, she and I had connected as I held that book in my hands on March 12th – on Pele’s sacred ground atop Kilauea.

No’eau is a Hawaiian word that means art, poetic-ness, and artfully done which was reflect her life.

Hala i ke ala ho’i ‘ole mai
(Gone on the road from which there is no returning)

The images were done by Nan, as were several ceramic vases I use for flowers from my garden.  All of these assure me of our continued connection.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You for sharing this message of "friendship is forever". Meeting another special light of energy through the Love channel is wonderful to those who are tuned in.

    ReplyDelete