Monday, July 23, 2018

Generosity of Friends and Strangers

Memorial Day Altar to Them (and crystal mala)
Ever since we have been together now, some 32 years, we have always found a special place for our altar -- a treasure of objects, photos and gifts that we use to remind us of our own spiritual path and philosophical truths. And, with the sudden outbreak of the fire that destroyed our home and urgent evacuation, all of these tokens and reminders were left behind. 

Rather than naming all of the objects, here are some of the photos we have taken, some seasonal, and others, like the "Memorial Day" altar, a remembrance of friends and teachers who have guided our journey. Of particular importance, however was the figures of Ganesh, and Tsonghakpa, the hand carved walrus tusk pipe, and quartz crystal mala
that I used to recite my Sanskrit japa for meditation.
Winter Altar filed with white objects (and mala)
Over the past weeks, I have often thought about replacing some things, but it never felt right to just go out and buy them, so I have waited, and gradually items have come one by one. First a Ganesh,  then a Minoan snake goddess, a "diamond" faceted crystal, another Ganesh, rose pedals, hand carved moon, dark quartz crystal, and yet, another Ganesh. But the one thing I seemed to miss most was the crystal mala that fit perfectly on my wrist. I also knew this was something I could not simply buy.

Today, while buying dinner in Foodland for our host family, I noticed that the woman in line in front of us was wearing a mala just like the one that was lost. I tentatively reached out and touched her arm lightly and asked her where she got her crystal mala.

Gifts of Ganesh -- and my new crystal mala
What followed next was nearly unbelievable. I explained I was hoping to replace my mala and she volunteered she was visiting from Maui where she not only made malas, but had a practice similar to mine! She began to ask for my contact so she could send me one, but then hesitated and asked me to wait a moment as she finished her transaction.

We stepped aside and she began to speak Sanskrit words that were immediately recognizable. As she began to unwrap her mala she gently took my hand so she could wrap it around my wrist. With each turn she offered a Sanskrit verse.

With tears flowing down my face I tried to thank her -- but she insisted that she thank ME for the opportunity to make this offering (ho'okupu) to me. And, now, I can't even remember her name -- and also know that it doesn't really matter. Mahalo Nui Loa!



1 comment:

  1. In the midst of chaos, you are truly blessed, always have been and always will. So happy for you on this wonderful day. May the Lord Ganesh and the Great Mother keep you both in their blessings.,Love Mary

    ReplyDelete