Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Blue Heaven On The Skin

Yesterday I took myself down Pahoa-Pohoiki Road (better known by locals as Mango Road) to Ahalanui Park for a late afternoon  swim at the warm pond there on the edge of the ocean. 

The full moon was awesome last night, the water...ahh, just the temperature of my skin.  For this child-of-water, the experience is indescribable.  "Floating between" sky and earth, I cannot tell where my body ends and the water begins.  I am suspended and surrounded in a bliss of well-beingness.


At one time I might have said, "I have waited all my life to be here."  But the truth is that every single step along the way has brought me to this place of nurture, warmth and magic.  As curved waves break over the edge of the lava and pour into the pond, I am swept by unseen currents and my body rises and falls rhythmically.

I see tourists coming down with their cameras to take a picture of it, but they do not get in, and "click" they are gone.  This is "to experience."  Those who have had the privilege know; those who have not -- well, how can you even explain it.  So, after a year of satisfying "labor" (on house, ohana, yard, and garden) my muses are again calling to me to ??  somehow express and articulate (with my own artist's voice) the wonder I feel.

While it is certainly womb-like, all movement is completely unrestricted.  I feel both strongly connected to the earth, but suspended under the blue sky, I also feel my connection to the heavens and beyond.  At dusk, I float, arms extended, my right hand holds the sun, and the moon is cradled in my left hand.  I am an orb.  My dear Priestess of Poetry, Sherri Rose-Walker, once read me a new poem that contained the phrase "blue heaven on the skin" -- and I stopped breathing!  How aptly those five words captured how it feels to be in the living water.  While a photo or painting might capture the "image" I cannot stop there; I am driven to express how this experience FEELS.


No comments:

Post a Comment