Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Lunels New Art


Does Enlightenment Have to Hurt
Music of the Spheres
Those of you who have known my assemblage art and process will understand the absolute DELIGHT in having my art table covered with stuff!

The 25th Annual Hilo "Junk Show" call to artists went out and I figured it was just about high time for me to dug out my remaining collections of found object and see what I could come up with.  Some of you know I have been obsessed with a series of fractals I have been dreaming of andcreating for months, so I decided to use three "rejects" for the back ground as there was nothing I could use them for as art pieces.

Mind Your P's & Q's
It was an emotionally interesting experience because as soon as I began to "assemble" I found myself excited about creating.  However, I was sad too, because there were so many boxes of materials I left behind; I found myself clearing identifying the "perfect thing for just this spot...." only to reach for it and remember -- oh, it isn't there anymore.  So, I pushed through and past that part and allowed the wave of positive creativity to just flow and for a week or so, I was captured by these three pieces.

What you may not be able to see clearly in "Enlightenment..." are the tiny light bulbs, and the central golden crystal.  What you will see clearly are the old razors, bullets and such.

In "Music of the Spheres" I finally got to use the xylophone keys to a kid's music toy -- and I have been waiting at least SIX years to find the right place for them.

In "Mind your P's & Q's" I got to use parts from old typewriters I actually used many, many years ago.  I learned to type on an old Royal, and in my late teens, was typing on a Selectric typewrite which was the latest and greatest "new thing" -- that was 1966???

Phil I have have met the charming man who introduced the "Trash Show" here 25 years ago, Ira Ono.  He has a delightful gallery and eatery up in Volcano where we have visited many times.  (I must admit, however, that I really prefer Humboldt County's show name better -- "Junque Arte" -- oh well.)

The exhibit will be in September at the East Hawaii Cultural Council building which houses the Hawaii Museum of Contemporary Art


No comments:

Post a Comment