Thursday, March 13, 2014

Lunel's Historic Quilt

Working in our spacious dedicated art studio.
In January I pulled out almost 30 T-shirts that moved with us to Hawaii.  The T-shirts range from 1980 - 2011 so it really represents a 30-year history of my life. Since our average temperature is 75, it's really too hot to wear them, so I decided to cut (most of*) them up into squares and make a quilt for myself.  (No, I have never made a quilt -- but it is so like me to just jump in and figure it all out as I go.)

Back on February17th, I posted the beginning of the project, but since then I have painted, sewed, embroidered, drawn on, and bejeweled and embellished 36 squares and still have about 8 to complete.


Well of COURSE there would have to be a MOON!

\
Above is a picture of me that Walt and Jenny took during their visit last week.  Most of the squares are 8x8" but some I have cut into quarters to create some 4x4" squares.  Photo here shows twelve completed squares (most details you can't see well) -- and one of my favorites enlarged so you can see the detail.  Each one is a miniature work of art and I've had great fun doing all of them.  With the border added, I think it will be about 5x7 feet.

* I only have five T-shirts now, which are nice to wear on chilly mornings and evenings -- "chilly" in Hawaiian means about 65.


No comments:

Post a Comment