Wednesday, December 17, 2014

End Fault Zone

On more than one occasion lately -- I have erred, which is distinctly uncomfortable for an ranking member of the Quality Control Squad of the OCD Tribe.  And, it doesn't matter what I did.  What I noticed most was how I felt about that -- "erring."  Is about being perfect, or being "bad?"  "Oh dear" said Eeyore.  What a critical voice; I have to just stop...and find an END to the FAULT ZONE!
Sign at Volcanoes National Park, Big Island Hawaii

About 15 years ago while I was studying and writing Sanskrit as a meditation, I came across a good writing practice.  Each line of the chant began like....Salutations to the Deva who abides in all things in the form of....  And in each case the end word changed; Light, Kindness, Mother, and so forth, on for the traditional 108 rounds.  Some few lines into into the list though, I hit the line Salutations to the Deva who abides in all things in the form of error." Say what?!?  And like lightning striking, for me this was an Epiphany; a life changing teaching was etched permanently in my memory and tattooed on my heart -- as a point of irrevocable certainty. Human = Error = Divine? Reminds me of this quote:

"I say all the perfect and the broken hallelujahs have an equal value.  It's a desire to affirm my faith in life, not in some formal religious way, but with enthusiasm, with emotion.  - Leonard Cohen

Way back in 2011, I wrote about this sign but only recently was I able to get the photo posted near the summit of Kilauea.  What would it mean if we could "end" any Fault Zone -- cultural, political, religious, or personal?



No comments:

Post a Comment