Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Morning Rituals

This is the view looking out the office area window.

Like most people we have our rituals, those quiet intimate, patterns you fall into comfortably after some 27 years together.  In the morning when we get up, Phil always makes coffee and I take my cup over to the mini-office area facing at huge double window overlooking our south-facing yard.

It's kind of a multi-tasking ritual.  Phil, coffee and remote in hand, flips through the news channels (politely muting the commercials.)  And I, while half listening to the news, scan the emails with one eye while my other is watching the ever changing and amazing view of my own front yard.

Like some opening prayer, I slide the window open full to drink in the fresh rain scented air and listen to a virtual choir of many different kinds of birds.  Crickets may still be chirping along with a few lingering coqui frogs.  Throughout the year, different things are blooming -- this month it is the Nun's Cap wild orchids that I've planted in a large bed around the Ohia trees -- that are also in bloom.

There is a sacred awareness of the earth and all who inhabit here, and each day brings new discoveries.  Today's delight was an enormous absolutely perfect spiderweb backlit by the low sun angle at 8am.  So of course I trade coffee and computer for camera as I traipse out to get the best angle I can -- not easy to do in wet, waist-high stag fern.

After getting it into photo shop for a better look, I realized how much it reminds me of the broken automobile glass I am using for my current art series entitled "Journey."



No comments:

Post a Comment