Wednesday, February 18, 2015

New Books to SHARE!



Sometimes after discovering new authors and delightful new books, I wonder just where I have been that I didn’t know about them before.  But, like most everything else in our lives, things come to us when they are right for the moment.  And then, when you share them and excitedly tell others about them, you find some responses are “Oh yes!!  And, do you know about…..”   Always such a good trade among friends!

So January and February brought me to:

Robertson Davies -- where I began with What’s Bred in the Bone (because for most of my life I have been drawn to the art and mystery of bones.)  It was a great read, and highly recommended, how-EVER… I found The Lyre of Orpheus to be very compelling – particularly for an artist who is interested in process.  And, you can BEGIN with Lyre because it is a stand-alone book.  It is full of art and artists of all types and covers generations of art, art process and secrets – not to mention a love story!

Ann Patchett – is an author Phil has been reading, and my introduction to her was through The Magician’s Assistant which is another love story – featuring many kinds of love, acceptance and forgiveness.  I found I simply could not stop reading.

Kirsten Miller – has written a series of stories, and I found Kiki Strike (fortunately) misfiled under adult fiction when I understand it is commonly filed under stories for teens.  What a delightful romp under the enormous underground city of New York!!  I found it the perfect antidote to the current, grim news, and it gave me a chance just to catch my breath, and smile.

Sara Gruen’s – Water for Elephants was made into a movie, which I had never seen.  If you think it is just a story about the circle, guess again.  If you have ever wanted to run away to join a circus (or simply run away) this story is for you.  It has romance, history and an honest look at what it is like to grow old – to remember, to mis-remember, to forget and to rediscover.

Elizabeth McGregor’s Girl in the Green Glass Mirror is “a haunting love story about two lost souls brought together by chance—and bonded forever by a mystery that transcends madness, tragedy, and time itself.”    Like Lyre… it is about art, art process, history – and the “mystery” part unfolds like an exotic flower. If you get it at the library – you will find you have to return it and go out and BUY one to keep and share!
IF YOU HAVE SOME TITLES TO SHARE WITH ME -- LET ME KNOW!  MAHALO!


No comments:

Post a Comment