Friday, March 6, 2015

Say WHAT???

(an unexpected rant) Like most folks we tend to mute the commercials on TV and find that this sometimes leads to a degree of appreciation for the artistry/propaganda of advertisement.  Anyway, last evening during a muted commercial the following words appeared on the screen....

(It's just fk'ing air deodorizer!)
"SMELL LIKE THE LIFESTYLE YOU DESERVE"

What???  I was so flabbergasted, I actually had to turn on the sound to see if my ears and eyes could agree on what I just observed.  Unfortunately I was correct.  Apparently Procter & Gamble's sales of air freshener and laundry products are stagnant, so they have to reinvent how to sell these humble everyday products to us -- as though somehow room deodorizer and laundry soap have been elevated to the status of a aged bottle of scotch or some rare champagne.

Another ad is running concurrently where a woman, folding clothes, is really thinking the following: "I WANT MY YOGA PANTS TO SMELL LIKE I SWEAT MONEY."    Really!? I was so perplexed by this I actually found one of the images to share with you.   (Did I really just waste my time doing that?)

Of course there are undoubtedly more important things about which to rant, and yes, this one surprised me; it seemed to represent such a pitiful state of things.  Oh well, I'll get over it.


No comments:

Post a Comment