Saturday, December 5, 2015

HILO in Three Acts

Some days present such a unbelievable chain of event as to be a complete Shakespearean absurdity.  Such was yesterday and our trip to Hilo.  Well, of course there is "The List" with 11 stops (10 of which were completed.)

Act I -- "The List"  -- Together we completed some off the errands before Phil was dropped off Downtown for 1st Friday Art Walk. Then while he did gallery duty, I checked off the rest of the list, and while doing so, noticed that I had lost my Chase/Visa card during or just after the OfficeMax stop.  So, I swung back around to see if they found it, but no one had turned in the card.

 Act II -- "Chase Card" -- (nearing evening) Naturally my next move was to call Chase/Visa to cancel my card, but in the meantime, of course some creep had already rung up $70 of gas and over $100 at Kentucky Fried Chicken!!  Really?? After gathering up my stuff my next stop was to pick Phil up so we could return home with our supplies....

Coconut can and quick thinking solved the problem
EXCEPT -- Act III -- "Dead Battery"  (Scene 1)  So my first call was to AAA, and by this time it is dark.  Fortunately I was parked directly in front of OfficeMax next to a handicap spot with lots of room.  The guy responding to AAA call was there in 15 minutes, but had to drive back to pick up the right battery for the VERSA.  I was hungry, so I broke into the ice chest for some smoked ham, slice of bread and a can of coconut water and had just finished my snack when the battery arrived.

(Scene 2) We noticed that the new battery was inches smaller than the old one, but after checking the book for the right replacement, it was the recommended version.   However, there was no way to "block" it into place so it wouldn't flop around on the stand. A block of wood would have been perfect, except -- no wood.  So I grabbed my coconut water can and sized up the space, and we shoved it in for a tight fit.



(Scene 3)  The AAA guy's girlfriend was the manager at OfficeMax!!! So, when she came out to say hi to him she recognized me and asked if I had found my credit card!  Aloha!

(Scene 4)   So the battery is in and tested and we are ready to finish the transaction with a credit card (we have two so that was no problem.)  However, HIS credit card machine was not working, payment could not be by check .... and here I am at the end of a huge shopping day.  Opening my wallet, I find about $70 toward a invoice of $120!   I took a breath and remembered my "secret stash" which I never used -- and YES!!!  There was a $100 tuck away.

Denouement  All secured, I swung back around (again) to bay front for Phil, keenly aware of the precarious balance between the coconut can holding the battery in tight and the fairly good VERSA suspension.
.
Act III ends with us safe at home with doggies who had waited HOURS for a very late supper,

THE END






No comments:

Post a Comment