Sunday, December 13, 2015

New Art Arrives for our Anniversary


"Fathom" by Rose Adare
Several weeks ago while visiting some of our local galleries, I was deeply moved by a single gigantic canvas at the East Hawaii Cultural Council (aka Hawaii Museum of Contemporary Art).

While Phil wandered around the rooms full of art, I found myself staying very still, hardly breathing, in front of this painting. I felt it captured how I feel about being in the water, carried and held by the energy of the ocean.  It was mysterious and haunting, and even more so because I felt the woman looked a bit like me. Phil finally circled back around and suggested I take a photograph of it. The large size canvas (approximately 5x8') was not something we could accommodate, so we left without  a lot more consideration.   Except, I kept returning to that image both in my waking thoughts as well as my dreams.
Fabric of the ceiling
Finally, I realized how beautifully the art would go in our lanai -- the Chihuly Studio glass piece and the fabric ceiling incorporated not only the same amazing colors but the wavy texture.of watery depths.  Eventually, I decided to just contact the artist to find out if a print might be available -- and it was.

Yesterday, for our 3-year anniversary of living in Puna on the Big Island, the artist, Rose Adare, delivered the print to our home. Phil is going to use some very old koa wood to make a frame for it.

Meeting Rose was a delight -- a pixie-goth-fire-dancing-artist! Visit her website at: www.roseadare.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment