Friday, December 22, 2017

Hawaii Night Sky


"Night Sky"
To see more of Miles Morgan's amazing photograph -- www.milesmorganphotography.com

Studying the night sky,
I find that starlight falls
quite gently on my face.
It is not as if I had
anything to hide, though
my hot mammal thoughts
simmer endlessly.
The stars do not mind.
They are cool and remote
shining without passion
or possession through
the long cosmic miles.
It is their distance
that comforts me.
Above the stirring
and blood violence
they are serene.
Their dispassionate light
coolly lingers on my skin.
I taste the cold immensity
of distance and grow calm.

Sherri Rose-Walker
Copyright 1987

Last night was the longest night of the year and the stars from the back porch at 3am were glorious. While I cannot capture their beauty either in photograph or poetry, I am very grateful to those who can, like Miles Morgan and Sherri Rose-Walker, who as been my friend since about 1986; she is my absolute favorite poet.


No comments:

Post a Comment